Sunday, October 29, 2017

Cool Tool #5: SlateBox


Slatebox (visit here!) is a website for creating mind maps, flow charts, and other info-graphics for organizing information. As the homepage says...




















It's a tool designed specifically for use in a classroom setting. I signed up for the free 30-day trial, but it is $8 per month to use if you want to continue using it. 


The boards (the website calls them slates) can be customized in a multitude of ways. You add word bubbles by clicking on the "+" and can drag them wherever you want. You can change the shape, color, and size of each word bubble. When you open up a new slate, you begin with a plain green bubble.







It was fun to play around and put together a simple diagram: 


Use the grey bar on the left to zoom in/out of your slate.

I like the idea of making word bubble diagrams digitally rather than manually. I find that when I do them on paper, they quickly become a tangled mess. This program is nice, because you don't have to worry about running out of room on the page, and you can move the bubbles around and organize them freely.

Would I use this as a tool with my students? Possibly. It could be very useful if you're trying to help students understand the connections between concepts and their hierarchy. I could also see myself using this when I'm planning my curriculum and getting my lesson plans in order. I wouldn't pay $8.00 per month for this for my personal use, but if teachers could fit this into their classroom activities, it could be worth it. I could see history teachers using this tool effectively to illustrate the links between concepts and historical periods. Students could use it to make a multi-dimensional timeline.

Verdict: Not bad! But at the end of the day, diagramming with pencil and paper isn't THAT much of a hassle. 



No comments:

Post a Comment